50 Books to Read in Kindergarten:
The Woodford County Library has a section just for children ages 4-6. The "50 Books to Read in Kindergarten" is a collection of some of the best books ever written for young readers that possess both literacy enhancing qualities and kid appeal. Posters were sent to all the kindergarten students in Woodford County listing the books so families could check off the books as they were read.
The Lexington Public Library first created this bibliography 3 years ago and has seen a marked increase in picture book circulation since the "50 Books" collection was inaugurated. The original "50 Books" was so popular that a second list - "50 More Books to Read in Kindergarten" - has been compiled and is already available.
The reading skills covered in these books are: Print Awareness, Rhyming, Print Motivation, Letter Sounds, and more. The "50 Books" collection can be found at the beginning of the picture book section at both libraries. The books are easy to spot with their bright pink dots on the spine. We hope young readers will enjoy the "50 Books" and it will be just the beginning of years of reading fun!
Weekly Story Times:
- Toddler Tales: Tuesdays at 10am at the Main Library. (Ages 2-3) Children and caregivers, parents, and/or grandparents enjoy songs, rhymes, stories, and great activities.
- Preschool Stories: Tuesdays at 11am at the Main Library. (Ages 4-5) Books, games, crafts, and music to enhance pre-literacy skills and to have fun. Caregivers, parents, and grandparents welcome too!
- Art Attack: Tuesdays at 4pm at the Midway Branch. (Grades K-4) Join us for arts and crafts and enjoy a snack and a story.
- Baby Story Time: Thursdays at 10am at the Main Library. (Ages 9-23 mo.) Songs, rhymes, stories, and activities for babies along with a favorite grownup.
- Preschool Story Hour: Fridays at 10:30am at the Midway Branch. (Ages 5 and younger) Children (with a favorite adult) have fun with engaging books, songs, and activities as they build their early literacy skills.